Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly he just can’t play the way we need our CBs to play

Have a day off ffs. At Katics age Goldson had barely played much football at all and most of it was for Shrewsbury. Katic is raw, but Gerrard gave him a long term contract because he knows players progress at his age and his flaws are coachable.

Amazing how perceptive you are, that you can just write off young potential at the drop of a hat. Including a guy who has partnered Goldson to numerous clean sheets. Honestly man what a post.

Have a day off ffs. At Katics age Goldson had barely played much football at all and most of it was for Shrewsbury. Katic is raw, but Gerrard gave him a long term contract because he knows players progress at his age and his flaws are coachable.

Amazing how perceptive you are, that you can just write off young potential at the drop of a hat. Including a guy who has partnered Goldson to numerous clean sheets. Honestly man what a post.
Katic is now 24 and hasn’t really improved from the level he was at when joining though, he was arguably worse in season 2 than season 1.

Hastie likely to be with the B Team seemingly which I have no objection to. He was a freebie and won't be on massive wages.

Middleton also will be pretty cheap on wages, and has been getting a chance to show what he can do in the first team friendlies. I don't think the management team are ready to cut their losses just yet frankly, after what was actually a very good season for him last year as one of St J's main men. Another loan next year of course is highly likely, but that's no bad thing when he can potentially harm Celtic in League and Cup alike.

If we had wanted the fridge sold he would be already. Fact is he is a decent player who either the gaffer thinks will come good or is worth more than was offered. It's not like we are having a fire sale!

Jones and Barker won't be missed, as neither sets the Heather alite but each has shown up in Europe (Barker especially fits Gerrard system in Europe hence being frequently picked in the past) so can hardly be called empty jerseys.

I would not weep at any being sold, but some on here are acting like each is the equivalent of a ncham or eduard running down their contracts to get rich. None are on that big a wage, and each would do a job for us if called upon (with the possible exception of Hastie who just looks like a low risk gamble that probably hasn't come off. So be it.
Jones and Barker are the definition of empty jerseys, both are on a decent wage which we are getting no where near value given their contribution.

Barker fits into Gerrard's European system? he was given a start over in Porto, he ran about a lot which is all he ever seems to do. Didn't get near a start in last year's group stages, I think he got grand total of about 25 mins in two sub appearances v Lech both games. Shipped out on loan.

Jordan Jones is still living off one good ball to Morelos v Legia and a decent showing against Midjylland years ago. Did well at Fir Park last season then got given a start v Ross County at home the next game to prove himself and did absolutely nothing. Shipped out on loan.

Likes of Jones and Barker only ever got a sniff in Europe due to their pace, they've been replaced by Sakala, the sooner we get them out the door the better.

On his day he is still incapable of building from the back and that’s how we play.

I get that he’s a cult hero, I like him too but the reality is he isn’t going to contribute to a strong Rangers that play the way we try to.

You’re making out like it’s Xavi and Iniesta we need at CB – it’s basic passing that’s required.

Of course Katic is capable of what Helander does in terms of playing it out, it’s the easiest part of the job.

Jones, Barker, Edmundson, Simpson and arguably Katic(to a lesser extent) are all absolutely dross when compared to the first choice and would all be sold in an ideal world.

Those players are probably costing us about £65k a week.
Aye very good.

All of those players have contributed to significant results and been stand outs within the performances. Maybe start trying to support the team rather than writing our players off as 'dross'. Simpson has barely kicked a ball for us for %^*& sake.

Of course we have better players than them in the squad, that's why they're subs, but to suggest they're shit is just plain wrong and makes you sound spoiled.

Aye very good.

All of those players have contributed to significant results and been stand outs within the performances. Maybe start trying to support the team rather than writing our players off as 'dross'. Simpson has barely kicked a ball for us for %^*& sake.

Of course we have better players than them in the squad, that's why they're subs, but to suggest they're shit is just plain wrong and makes you sound spoiled.
I will never understand why people are happy to have designated squad players who nobody would be happy to see start a big game.

I will never understand why people are happy to have designated squad players who nobody would be happy to see start a big game.

That's how a squad has to be built though, especially for a club with our resources. You can't keep 22 players or more of a similar level of ability happy.

But there's also been big matches where some of these players have contributed. Edmundson away against Braga, Barker away against Celtic, Jones with the assist to get us into the Europa League, Middleton scoring against Spartak Moscow, and if we're going to include Katic to that lesser extent, his winner at the Piggery.

We might not be happy to see their name on a teamsheet at times but that doesn't mean they'll automatically be poor.

I want us to move on a number of players because I think the squad is far too big, and many of the players you mention would be ones I'd choose to leave in an ideal world. I just think we need to remember that for many of them, they contributed to what was a three year effort to get us where we are now, even if said contribution wasn't as big as some others.

That's how a squad has to be built though, especially for a club with our resources. You can't keep 22 players or more of a similar level of ability happy.

But there's also been big matches where some of these players have contributed. Edmundson away against Braga, Barker away against Celtic, Jones with the assist to get us into the Europa League, Middleton scoring against Spartak Moscow, and if we're going to include Katic to that lesser extent, his winner at the Piggery.

We might not be happy to see their name on a teamsheet at times but that doesn't mean they'll automatically be poor.

I want us to move on a number of players because I think the squad is far too big, and many of the players you mention would be ones I'd choose to leave in an ideal world. I just think we need to remember that for many of them, they contributed to what was a three year effort to get us where we are now, even if said contribution wasn't as big as some others.
Spot on.

I wonder if some of our fans even enjoy watching us win sometimes. The level of entitlement is staggering.

I would rather other players in the team ahead of them but because they're not first picks they're considered 'dross'.

Yes he did.

Edmundson was playing, Niko benched.

After the St Johnstone debacle.
Followed up by the Hamilton debacle when Kent was on the bench, does that mean Kent was second choice for Left Wing that season (it doesn't)

Katic played in the Cup Final,
He had twice as many minutes in the league as Edumundson,

The squad was altered for a couple of games, but all evidence shows Katic was the third choice CB in 19/20, 3 games is an incredibly small sample size to use to justify someone as 4th choice, when the body of evidence shows he was the regular go to third choice, more so when you factor in what was followed up in the summer following his injury, we went to sign a replacement for him rather than backing Edmundson to fill in regularly in his absence.

While I agree to an extent, it makes less sense to have the weaker players either be so much worse than the first picks that it becomes a concern or just a bad fit stylistically.

Scott Wright isn’t as good as Ryan Kent but he’s a great fit and so far looks to be one of the better players in the league in that position.

Compare that situation to Jordan Jones, he doesn’t fit tactically and isn’t as good as Scott Wright, let alone Kent.

I believe that you can make the same type of arguments for most of the fringe players. Edmundson, Katic and Simpson could be replaced by one player and the squad would improve.

Followed up by the Hamilton debacle when Kent was on the bench, does that mean Kent was second choice for Left Wing that season (it doesn't)

Katic played in the Cup Final,
He had twice as many minutes in the league as Edumundson,

The squad was altered for a couple of games, but all evidence shows Katic was the third choice CB in 19/20, 3 games is an incredibly small sample size to use to justify someone as 4th choice, when the body of evidence shows he was the regular go to third choice.
No, because Niko had been benched for a few games so they aren’t comparable at all and it was clear the gaffer favoured Edmundson.

Anyway, let’s not derail the thread.

No, because Niko had been benched for a few games so they aren’t comparable at all and it was clear the gaffer favoured Edmundson.

Anyway, let’s not derail the thread.
Its' not really derailing it, it is a player being spoken about as a potential transfer out,

It was 3 games.... 3..... that's not evidence to show someone as 4th choice I' m afraid, it is a silly point to put forward.

Edmundson was so established as "3rd choice" we instantly signed a player when Katic was injured.

It was 3 games.... 3..... that's not evidence to show someone as 4th choice I' m afraid, it is a silly point to put forward.

Edmundson was so established as "3rd choice" we instantly signed a player when Katic was injured.
it was 8 games

We signed a defender when Katic got injured because it was for the full season and we couldn’t go into a 50 game season with 3 centre backs.

Its' not really derailing it, it is a player being spoken about as a potential transfer out,

We signed an upgrade, that may have happened anyway once we were into preseason and evaluated everyone.

There is a drop off from Balogun to Niko and Edmundson, I think Niko is out 4th best centre half but I’ve said for a long time now I expect him to leave on loan.

The only reason it was 3 games was because the season was cut short, Niko wasn’t getting back in anytime soon I reckon.

We signed an upgrade, that may have happened anyway once we were into preseason and evaluated everyone.

There is a drop off from Balogun to Niko and Edmundson, I think Niko is out 4th best centre half but I’ve said for a long time now I expect him to leave on loan.

The only reason it was 3 games was because the season was cut short, Niko wasn’t getting back in anytime soon I reckon.
It wasn’t even 3 games, it was 3 European games, a Scottish cup tie and 4 league games.

Hastie likely to be with the B Team seemingly which I have no objection to. He was a freebie and won't be on massive wages.

Middleton also will be pretty cheap on wages, and has been getting a chance to show what he can do in the first team friendlies. I don't think the management team are ready to cut their losses just yet frankly, after what was actually a very good season for him last year as one of St J's main men. Another loan next year of course is highly likely, but that's no bad thing when he can potentially harm Celtic in League and Cup alike.

If we had wanted the fridge sold he would be already. Fact is he is a decent player who either the gaffer thinks will come good or is worth more than was offered. It's not like we are having a fire sale!

Jones and Barker won't be missed, as neither sets the Heather alite but each has shown up in Europe (Barker especially fits Gerrard system in Europe hence being frequently picked in the past) so can hardly be called empty jerseys.

I would not weep at any being sold, but some on here are acting like each is the equivalent of a ncham or eduard running down their contracts to get rich. None are on that big a wage, and each would do a job for us if called upon (with the possible exception of Hastie who just looks like a low risk gamble that probably hasn't come off. So be it.
we paid a development fee of 350k for Hastie not a huge sum but would be nice to get at least that back

He was injured and then a few weeks later we signed a CB, Balogun was quite clearly signed to fill Katics place in the squad, as third choice CB.

It's a swing and miss I'm afraid.
It’s a swing and a miss? He started Livingston, St Johnstone was the next game and Katic was hooked at half time for Edmundson and never seen again.

That could genuinely be Katic’s last appearance for the club

Aye very good.

They are shit, thats why we can’t get rid.

You like him too???you literally just called him dross :rolleyes:
He’s got a great attitude and will be a good player for a team that plays with a more defensive style if he can be coached out of being ill disciplined in his positioning.

Rangers build attacks from the back and have the CB’s on the half way line more often than not.

Jones, Barker, Edmundson, Simpson and arguably Katic(to a lesser extent) are all absolutely dross when compared to the first choice and would all be sold in an ideal world.

Those players are probably costing us about £65k a week.
Katic certainly is not dross he will go on play for Croatia and Simpson needs a good run of games

Aye very good.

correct good point about Simpson
Hopefully see katic back soon

We aren't trying to get rid of Simpson - he's currently ahead of Katic & Edmundson in the pecking order. All 3 of them are around that 23-24 age range when they need to be playing first team football.

It's clear we're keeping Simpson because we feel we have a better chance to improve the weaknesses in his game. Simpson is the coaching team's choice because he has level of ability on the ball that Katic & Edmundson don't come close to - both of those guys will either be loaned out or sold, no doubt about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back