The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not as simplistic as that and selling two players isn’t a rebuild.

Ajax play in a completely different and more competitive league and still maintain a model of success and sustainability.

We hardly spent a penny in the summer Vs them spending the best part of £20m, if not more and we still ran them close and got to a Europa league final.

As a fan I obviously want to achieve success on the park first and foremost, but it cannot be achieved on fresh air. Balance is the key here. Do I think we could sell Bassey and Aribo this window and still win the league? 100% with smart reinvestment of some of that money.
I didn't state 2 players, i said 4 players.

Might have been mentioned already (thread grows too fast to keep up) but if the Ajax link is indeed true, it woukd appear that they see Basseys future as a CB.

Reason being, they signed Owen Wijndal, a left back from AZ Alkmaar (also their captain) for 11 mil yesterday. They also need to replace Lisandro Martinez at CB, who is on the verge of joining Man U.

I wonder how Bassey feels about that? Often wondered where he prefers playing and still think he'll make a better LB than CB in the long run.

Will be gutted to lose him but reluctantly agree that this is the prime selling point on terms of value so no issue with the club if we do cash in as long as price is fair.
At an elite level I think Bassey probably has a better future at centre half than left back. It is very hard to tell though given how much he has improved in both positions over the last 12 months.

If the club foreseen departures of Aribo, Bassey and maybe other key players then keeping Davis, Arfield and McGregor who are cheap experienced and steeped in our club makes much more sense. Bedding in new players is much easier with good pros to show them the ropes of being a Rangers player

Ajax for Bassey? really? the dutch league? that in my opinion would be a sideways move for Bassey.
10lRYUc.png

I think that's at least 12 reasons he should go there before you factor in the quality of life on offer in Amsterdam.

We won a prize getting Aribo, Kamara, Bassey & Morelos - for the minimal fees they cost us

But how many others - say since SG arrived - haven't worked out & didn't earn us any dosh when they left ?
Our one big outlay was RK & at least we knew what we were paying for - having him on loan first

I'm not mentioning this because I want to argue against the trading model - far from it - but simply to point out we won't always be as successful buying cheap & selling expensive

There will inevitably be seasons where our new recruits won't contribute as much on the park as those mentioned above either
That's something that's always going to be risky while shopping for OOC players, youngsters & bargain basement candidates

While we will always have to respond to favourable bids when they come in - we also need to hang on to at least some of our better players- to remain successful on the pitch each season

So IMO we need a blend / balance of established players & cheaper new recruits to make this work

Contract lengths & timely extensions are therefore crucial
Somehow I don't see Ajax for example letting as many contract rundowns happen as often as we seem to be doing
(Although to be honest & I'm not aware if they do or not)

I get that, I think he's ready for a move to a bigger club now without the Ajax stepping stone.
I don't think most people would see it that way for a player playing in one of the smaller European leagues. It's probably skewed by our Europa League final appearance but I think there's still a step to be taken from us to the very top and Ajax are the best or second best at offering that.

He any good mate?

Was highly rated a few years back. Used to play slightly higher up the park and out wide.

Adopted a slightly deeper role. Two footed, very good feet, good passer of a ball, can drive, go box to box, retain possession and a bit of fire and bite about him.

Was the best player on the park against Finland IMO and he put a few meaty tackles in, one on Kamara where he went through him. FSCB play European conference qualifiers soon.

I don't think most people would see it that way for a player playing in one of the smaller European leagues. It's probably skewed by our Europa League final appearance but I think there's still a step to be taken from us to the very top and Ajax are the best or second best at offering that.

I genuinely don't think Bassey looks out of place playing beside better players at a munich/dortmund or a decent Italian or spanish club, that's just my opinion though.

The fact that Ajax seem to flat out reject any proposal to include sell on percentages in their transfers is interesting. It simply has to be used as leverage to increase the asking price up front.

If Bassey goes there and excels like he is more than capable of doing, big English clubs will be all over him within a couple of years like a shell suit on a ned. Guaranteed. And then it's likely to be easy double what Ajax paid for him as the starting price.

So over to wee Ross now. I really hope we don't get fanny-dazzled by the initial bid / numbers involved and hold out to get full value. With no sell on included, it simply has to be as close to 25 mil as possible. If we end up settling for 14 / 15 up front with another 5 or so in add ons then its simply not good enough imo.

The only upside is guaranteed CL football and possibly higher wages than he would get with us probably another 10 grand a week tops.

And it's bloody Ajax mate :))

We are a huge club but Ajax are on another level. Globally renowned for developing young players. They'll flip him in a year or two to Bayern or Juve or Manchester United. We've a while to go before teams of that stature are buying from us directly.

And it's bloody Ajax mate :))

We are a huge club but Ajax are on another level. Globally renowned for developing young players. They'll flip in a year or two to Bayern or Juve or Manchester United. We've a while to go before teams of that stature are buying from us directly.

Ajax are on another level to Rangers? i don't agree with that at all.

When we reached the uefa cup final in Manchester, I don't remember us selling players for loads of money when that campaign finished.

I seriously doubt we'll sell a player above 30 mill the next ten years. Love to be wrong.

Even if we did, the replacement is going to cost us 3 million.
We did sell Cuellar for £8m that summer, which was a big fee for us at the time

Cool

Well if we spend the entire bassey fee on the squad I’ll come back and say well done.

Your talking about accountancy today forum yet assume the euro run and NP solves everything
The only assumption I make is that the future for us will be bleak if we do not compete more consistently and get back to winning trophies much more frequently.

Being top of the parsimony premier league won't put bums on seats or bring greater success on the pitch. Allowing the competitiveness of the squad to decline would be a false economy and good businesses recognise the importance of investment to maintain or preferably enhance competitiveness.

Balance the books by all means but let's not lose sight of our primary objective which is winning trophies.

I've mentioned a couple of clubs earlier in the thread, bearing in my mind this is only my opinion. A lot of people think the move to Ajax is a great move, I totally respect that.

Fair enough mate, the league may not be superior to others but in regards to England there’s no club outwith Manchester United and Liverpool that touch Ajax overall.

Ajax for Bassey? really? the dutch league? that in my opinion would be a sideways move for Bassey.

For a guy in his early 20s I think Ajax is a much better move than mid table EPL.

Ajax have a reputation for developing players, and regularly sell their players to the best clubs in the world. Will also be playing regular CL football which he wont get near at a Brighton or the likes.

If the club foreseen departures of Aribo, Bassey and maybe other key players then keeping Davis, Arfield and McGregor who are cheap experienced and steeped in our club makes much more sense. Bedding in new players is much easier with good pros to show them the ropes of being a Rangers player
For me, keeping McGregor, Arfield and Davis has never made any sense, under any situation.

For me, keeping McGregor, Arfield and Davis has never made any sense, under any situation.
But none of us know the wages we’ve got these guys on the new contracts

Certainly won’t be anywhere near their initial ones

Look at any of the RTV videos and you’ll see Arfield is probably the most liked member of the squad

We have a very inexperienced squad overall when it comes to winning things and it certainly does no harm having McGregor and Davis around to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back