The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Would it be fair to say Nnamdi Ofoborh is a Calvin Bassey level of signing in terms of the stage of his career?
Looks like it, but this lad has played senior football for Wycombe.

Bassey was coming straight from an academy, however like Bassey he is built like a brick shit house.

Great news.

Not that I know anything about the lads, but obviously they've been watched over a period of time by the recruiting staff and SG

Bournemouth accepted a bid of £700k for Simpson so it would probably take that for us to get them both in this window, can't see us paying that when we don't have to.

Really happy to finally have another left sided CB now, Goldson and Balogun should compete for the right side while Helander and Simpson go for the left.

Could see Niko go on loan next season. Especially if we extend Balogun's deal. Edmundson could be either loaned this window and possibly sold in the summer.

Similar to Bassey.
Seems theyll have to prove themselves before being first picks.

I may be wrong but was it Goldson who hadnt played a lot either?
If we are being fairly honest a lot of our signings under Gerrard haven’t played a lot of football

- Goldson played a lot when he was younger, but had missed a lot of football due to his heart.
- Balogun
- Zungu
- Helander
- Kamara

Just off the top of my head had played less football than their age & ability would suggest.

Bournemouth accepted a bid of £700k for Simpson so it would probably take that for us to get them both in this window, can't see us paying that when we don't have to.

Really happy to finally have another left sided CB now, Goldson and Balogun should compete for the right side while Helander and Simpson go for the left.
Depends, they’ll get nothing for Simpson come summer as he is 24.

So they may just take whatever cash they can get the now, especially as he isn’t a starter for them.

I agree with your final point, then George &/or Niko out on loan as part of our succession planning.

Just a thought, are we trying to go down the route of “stockpiling” players to then loan them out to fellow SPFL teams.

Whether it was a strategy as such or not this season, we can’t deny it hasn’t helped.

I would be happy for these coming in we could say then let Edmundson/Jones etc go to other SPFL clubs.
Doubt Wilson's strategy is to stockpile players. Bit of a disrespectful way to treat the players presuming hey want to go up to Aberdeen on loan etc. Doesnt seem Wilson's style

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...ws/nnamdi-ofoborh-agrees-Rangers-pre-23373886

Nnamdi Ofoborh and Jack Simpson agree Rangers pre-contracts but Steven Gerrard wants Bournemouth pair at Ibrox this month​

Gerrard is more likely to make a January move for Nigerian midfielder Ofoborh as there is less urgency for defensive cover - and Bournemouth have named their price.

Rangers have agreed pre-contract deals with Bournemouth duo Nnamdi Ofoborh and Jack Simpson – and haven’t ruled out snaring the
pair of them now.
The Ibrox club, who moved a step closer to the title on Saturday with a 5-0 rout of Ross County, are keen on the Cherries pair, who are both free agents this summer.

MailSport understands Rangers have already tied up Bosman moves for the Nigerian midfielder and English centre-back.
But they are now pursuing the possibility of a January swoop for Ofoborh in particular as gaffer Steven Gerrard looks to add more midfield cover for the Premiership run in, especially with Scott Arfield currently injured.
Rangers could strike a deal for Ofoborh similar to the one that got them Glen Kamara when he arrived from Dundee in 2019 and cost them just £50,000.

But MailSport understands that Bournemouth would be looking for a fee in the region of £300,000 for Ofoborh, who has six months left on his current deal with the English Championship outfit.

Rangers also want to add defender Simpson to their ranks next season.
Gerrard is a long-time admirer and tried to get the defender on loan from the Cherries back in 2018.

But with Connor Goldson, Filip Helander and Leon Balogun all performing well at the moment, there is less urgency to strengthen the backline in January.
A move for Ofoborh this month is more likely.

The Premiership leaders also find themselves in a similar position with their chase of Aberdeen winger Scott Wright.
Agreements are in place for the signings to be completed at the end of the campaign.
But Gerrard and Rangers’ director of football Ross
Wilson are actively working on trying to get them both to Glasgow now and it’s understood they’ll inform Bournemouth of their intentions on Sunday in the hope of pushing through the deals early.
Sorry...
We can't find the page you requested

If we are being fairly honest a lot of our signings under Gerrard haven’t played a lot of football

- Goldson played a lot when he was younger, but had missed a lot of football due to his heart.
- Balogun
- Zungu
- Helander
- Kamara

Just off the top of my head had played less football than their age & ability would suggest.
Yes, youre right, mate.

I’d have been wanting a million or two at least, prior to his fanny galavanting.

Doubt we will lose money on him, Ross Wilson got money for Grezda ffs.
I would like to think so.

Even if he left on loan for the rest of the season and we sold him in the summer.

That’s why I’d prefer him & Jones on loan, I’m confident they would perform well enough on loan to see their value rise.
The thing is if they don't then we'd struggle to get a fee at all.

I'd bite your hand off for breaking even on them and focusing on the future at this point

It was 650k and at that money he's been good value. He's been pretty good when playing, our defence has went up a level though. He wasnt signed to be the next Connor Goldson and Gerrsrd seemed happy enough to have him and play him europe
I actually think he was to be honest, similar career background & seeming similar in terms of ability to play the ball out.

George only turned 23 in August, which is incredibly young for a defender so I figured he was the ‘Goldson’ succession plan.

Whether that’s still the idea anymore is anyone’s guess though.

Ali McCann, the young St. Johnstone midfielder is the subject of much admiring comment from the media and football punditry - many rate him a better prospect than Lewis Ferguson with whom we have been linked - any thoughts?

The thing is if they don't then we'd struggle to get a fee at all.

I'd bite your hand off for breaking even on them and focusing on the future at this point
Breaking even on them transfer wise would be a combined £650k.

We would be demanding more than that I’d like to think, even with the little game time & behavioural issues.

They’ve both performed at higher levels than Docherty who we got £350k for + significant add ons/sell on for.

Ali McCann, the young St. Johnstone midfielder is the subject of much admiring comment from the media and football punditry - many rate him a better prospect than Lewis Ferguson with whom we have been linked - any thoughts?
I like McCann, a poster on here is adamant that we’ve been watching him for a while now but I don’t think we will go for him.

I actually think he was to be honest, similar career background & seeming similar in terms of ability to play the ball out.

George only turned 23 in August, which is incredibly young for a defender so I figured he was the ‘Goldson’ succession plan.

Hmmm, well one cost £3m the other one £650k, so I never expected him to be a long term solution for defence

Breaking even on them transfer wise would be a combined £650k.

We would be demanding more than that I’d like to think, even with the little game time & behavioural issues.

They’ve both performed at higher levels than Docherty who we got £350k for + significant add ons/sell on for.
Asking for more than that doesn't mean we'll get it though.

They can't even make our bench, players will get angry at being priced out of a move in situations like that

Hmmm, well one cost £3m the other one £650k, so I never expected him to be a long term solution for defence
One had played in the premier league & was 26, one was playing at the 3rd tier in England whilst aged 21.

I thought it was us trying to cut out the middle club & get a ‘Goldson’ before he went to a higher level which would command the larger fee.

It’s something we should be doing, I thought this was an example of it seeing as Goldson was at that level until he was older.

I actually like him as a player and think he could easily play as a defensive mid.

However, he doesn't deserve to play for us again after his moronic behaviour. The same goes for Jones.

Asking for more than that doesn't mean we'll get it though.

They can't even make our bench, players will get angry at being priced out of a move in situations like that
That’s a fair point mate.

Although, just because someone can’t make our multimillion valued squad doesn’t mean we should offload them for peanuts.

I’d be disappointed if we lost money on George & didn’t command at least £500k for Jones.

Anyway, this all hypothetical just now :))

I actually like him as a player and think he could easily play as a defensive mid.

However, he doesn't deserve to play for us again after his moronic behaviour. The same goes for Jones.
His performance against Braga is one that sticks out for me, I think he has a slim chance of working his way back in.

Back