The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are a panic merchant right enough. So Celtic have strengthened? Jota still not signed, Jullianne getting sold, Bitton and Rogic released. Siegrist signed and CCV signed permanently. I don't see that getting stronger.
I think them signing a better back up goalie and a left back, which was their worst position in the team, is slightly strengthening yes. They also seem to be linked and willing to bring more players in quickly so they are good to go from the start of the campaign.

I’m more concerned that we seem to be asking the same core of players to go to the well for another season - especially in such a monotonous league. It’s hard from a mental perceptive. It didn’t work last season & we are another season in with key players contracts winding down by the day. I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t see us having the funds or the dynamism in the market for us to strengthen enough. I hope I’m proved wrong but the last few windows have not been encouraging at all.

The reason the tims have had success with the trading model is that they have sold players who have actually gone on to make an impact in England; from a reputational point of view, that is massive. It's not quite as simple as just getting the move, its then relying on factors totally outside of our control that will see them go on to be an actual success.

I'm still of the view that we are a few years away from seeing an actual player trading model in full swing.
Celtic started their player trading model about 2012, when we imploded.
We've only had sellable players since 2018 and it takes at least 2 years to see if their good enough to sell for decent money. I have no doubts we'll start selling players this summer to kick it off.

No way we don’t find the budget for a right sided forward that gets us goals and direct attacking play.

I can’t imagine a scenario where that pans out, regardless of who leaves.

All this talk of sell to buy is wide of the mark I feel. Frustratingly, it’s taking time but we’ll get that one player we need hopefully in time for the qualifiers, then we’ll replace who we sell with some cheaper alternatives.

The longer this goes on the less convinced I am it'll happen. And if this is the state of play after a season in which we've been successful financially, I shudder to think where we'd be if we had been put out at say the round of 32 off Dortmund

Celtic started their player trading model about 2012, when we imploded.
We've only had sellable players since 2018 and it takes at least 2 years to see if their good enough to sell for decent money. I have no doubts we'll start selling players this summer to kick it off.
Agree.

Although I still maintain it's not just about selling them, its about them actually going on to make an impact so that we become recognised as a genuine source of talent. That part is entirely outside of our control, however.

People laugh, but them next door have numerous examples of it over the past decade.

If we had accepted the £16m Lille bid for Morelos then maybe it would've kicked in already but as of now, we have absolutely nothing to show a potential recruit that we can do for them what Celtic did for van Dijk, Dembele etc.

I know there is obviously something in this, but following the same logic Dundee United would be a more attractive prospect for players than Rangers because Andy Robertson went on to Liverpool in much the same route as Van Dijk.

Or the Sheep because Ramsay has ended up there too.

I like Andy McGowan, but he does have a habit of framing even the most shite situation in some sort of positive light.

I remember his monologue about Greg Docherty being some sort of extraterrestrial talent on the H&H podcast a few years back.

With fan media so integrated with the club now it's hard to know when they are being truly objective or when they are being fed a line to push.

Still sub H&H every month though!

Andy's an accountant is he not? Think it's just his opinion based on going through the accounts which he wrote a piece about back in November.

When did football become about who can sell players for the most money?

I understand the concept of buying players with potential and cashing in when the time is right, but Fck me some of our fans and theirs seem to have fallen into a “ we have more money than you, we sold a player for more than you” mindset .

It’s football, it’s meant to be enjoyable. It’s a sport.

Our fans seem to want success, sometimes unreasonably so (see the talking down of getting to Seville because we lost on penalties) whilst simultaneously wanting to chase players out the door as fast as they can.

I know there are market forces at play here but if we can’t turn over players who reached the EL final last season then when will we ever be able to turn over players?

It’s strange isn’t it.

If you take Aribo as an example, I would have thought that he’d have been snapped up very early given someone will get a deal on him due to the contract situation.

If PAOK are keeping Colak because they only have one other centre forward, can he not just speed it up by telling him he's injured and won't be playing again for them?

I know there is obviously something in this, but following the same logic Dundee United would be a more attractive prospect for players than Rangers because Andy Robertson went on to Liverpool in much the same route as Van Dijk.

Or the Sheep because Ramsay has ended up there too.

But they, like us, don't have a body of evidence to fall back on.

Look at Xavi Simons signing for PSV. "We should be able to match them".

On wages ? Aye probably. On showing him we can get him a move to the next level like they have repeatedly ? Nope.

We can attract players here. We can absolutely show them over the past 4 years that we can improve them and give them a platform to play on. But then what ? There is no "next" for these guys with us yet.

But they, like us, don't have a body of evidence to fall back on.

Look at Xavi Simons signing for PSV. "We should be able to match them".

On wages ? Aye probably. On showing him we can get him a move to the next level like they have repeatedly ? Nope.

We can attract players here. We can absolutely show them over the past 4 years that we can improve them and give them a platform to play on. But then what ? There is no "next" for these guys with us yet.
Spot on. We need to sell an Aribo, Kent or Morelos to a big league and they need to prove it there. That will gain credibility for the process.

There should be a read across to the successful exports from Celtic of course but it will be much better that we prove our development path ourselves.

i
We have a relatively young squad; yesterday, I'm sure I read a ludicrous claim that ours was the oldest in the League.

30 and over- 6 players
Under 25 - 27 players ( of those, between 20 and 25- 21 players)
Between 26 and 29 - 7 players
Under 20- 7 players.

The squad has an average age of under 25.
thought exact same as you when I read it. We have some very old players, ie McGregor, Mclaughlin and Davis, but most of the remainder are relatively young. I came up with the same average age of 25. That is a bunch of players not even at their prime yet. Bodes well

Andy's an accountant is he not? Think it's just his opinion based on going through the accounts which he wrote a piece about back in November.
It's not so much "writing a piece" as it is him justifying us doing nothing in the transfer market and suggesting that we will be principally operating on a bosman model for recruitment.

Spun as some sort of positive.

i

thought exact same as you when I read it. We have some very old players, ie McGregor, Mclaughlin and Davis, but most of the remainder are relatively young. I came up with the same average age of 25. That is a bunch of players not even at their prime yet. Bodes well
We have a great squad, and many still to enter the best years of their career.

I know that things move quickly.. but how on earth can we sell Patterson, get money for Gerrard and get the cash that comes with getting to the EL final and not be able to push on? Having said that a few players need flipped but I just feel as if — very much from the outside— we are going to have a summer like the last one.

I see Joshua king was released yesterday from Watford. Wasn't he linked with them last year. Sure Everton tried to sign him too
He was a cracking player a few seasons ago at Bournemouth but he's done very little since at Everton & Watford.
Shades of James Beattie?
I thought Beattie was a good addition to our squad until I watched him live and realised he couldn't run, he was only 32 so hardly in Defoe territory...

Our fans seem to want success, sometimes unreasonably so (see the talking down of getting to Seville because we lost on penalties) whilst simultaneously wanting to chase players out the door as fast as they can.

I'd see Morelos or Kamara go if the price was right. Some of our support wouldn't sell a player even if we saw an attractive offer.

I was speaking to Mark Warburton last night - one comment he made was our need to buy low, sell big to improve. He feels we need to make a sale in order to move forward.

See if this group of players had delivered the league title when the Champions League was on offer, we may be in a different position in regards to transfers.

The first 11 absolutely needs an injection of quality and of course there is still time to add said players.

Last edited:
I'd see Morelos or Kamara go if the price was right. Some of our support wouldn't sell a player even if we saw an attractive offer.

I was speaking to Mark Warburton last night - one comment he made was our need to buy low, sell big to improve. I feels we need to make a sale in order to move forward.

See if this group of players had delivered the league title when the Champions League was on offer, we may be in a different position in regards to transfers.

The first 11 absolutely needs an injection of quality and of course there is still time to add said players.
Where this seasons Aribo’s or Bassey’s? Where are our recruitment team in this regard?

We’ve brought a load of promising younger players in for the U-18s but they seem an age group or two below the players mentioned above.

I just see a completely stagnant football dept (outside of the youths) possibly impacted by lack of funds.

I know that things move quickly.. but how on earth can we sell Patterson, get money for Gerrard and get the cash that comes with getting to the EL final and not be able to push on? Having said that a few players need flipped but I just feel as if — very much from the outside— we are going to have a summer like the last one.
Been covered, in some detail, earlier in the thread and elsewhere.

We have a £5.25m loan taken out by three Directors last season in order to pay off King. It carries interest at 6%. Will we choose to pay that off?

We have a further loan from after the last Annual Report of £8.5m. No confirmation of any interest figure on that. Will we choose to pay that off? (The days of debt for equity swaps and 'free' money are over).

We paid off the Fat C*nt in February. That probably cost £3m+.

We face a fine for price-fixing and may decide to set aside funds for that.

Players and staff would have been on huge bonuses for making it to Sevilla.

On the plus side we have the Gerrard compo at circa £4m, the first instalment on Patterson at £9m and £4.5m from the share issue. Plus whatever we got for Itten.

We can and will, I think, spend. We are not awash with cash as some seem to think though.

Last edited:
I know there are market forces at play here but if we can’t turn over players who reached the EL final last season then when will we ever be able to turn over players?
Keep winning trophies and then we are hard to ignore. It'll come, just need a player to leave and have a stormer elsewhere.

Quite worrying after the season we had financially we’re still as skint as we are
Not necessarily I think we're probably functioning well now after last season but ultimately player trading means we (like every other club that doesn't have rich oil money) have to sell out best assets in order to bring in the next crop.

There is a big emotional attachment to a lot of our players though, as well as the manager will want to keep a large chunk that have done well.

Been covered, in some detail, earlier in the thread and elsewhere.

We have a £5.25m loan taken out by three Directors last season in order to pay off King. It caries interest at 6%. Will we choose to pay that off?

We have a further loan from after the last report of £8.5m. No confirmation of any interest figure on that. Will we choose to pay that off? (The days of debt for equity swaps and 'free' money are over).

We paid off the Fat C*nt in February. That probably cost £3m+.

We face a fine for price-fixing and may decide to set aside funds for that.

Players and staff would have been on huge bonuses for making it to Sevilla.

On the plus side we have the Gerrard compo at circa £4m, the first instalment on Patterson at £9m and £4.5m from the share issue. Plus whatever we got for Itten.

We can and will, I think, spend. We are not awash with cash as some seem to think though.

That's why Champions League football was and still is imperative.

We blew the first chance. Let's hope we snap it up at the second time of asking.

It's not so much "writing a piece" as it is him justifying us doing nothing in the transfer market and suggesting that we will be principally operating on a bosman model for recruitment.

Spun as some sort of positive.

Just his opinion though is it not? Doubt the club will have made him write that if they had for example then you would expect the other partners to have similar pieces no?

Pretty sure his day job is accounts so he knows what he's talking about. The writing piece I mentioned was his breakdown of the accounts when they came out not that series of tweets that he's done today.

We have a relatively young squad; yesterday, I'm sure I read a ludicrous claim that ours was the oldest in the League.

30 and over- 6 players
Under 25 - 27 players ( of those, between 20 and 25- 21 players)
Between 26 and 29 - 7 players
Under 20- 7 players.

The squad has an average age of under 25.

It's a fact rather than a ludicrous claim, the average age of our first 11 in the league last season was 28.3, which was the oldest and 3 years above Celtic who were the youngest. It's slightly younger if you include subs. Here.

You're including the likes of Middleton, Hastie, Kieran Wright, Mayo, Kelly, Ofoborh, Williamson etc in your numbers. Players that will possibly never play for us again. The average age is based on players who play, not ones that are just kicking about the reserves/youth team.

I think we need to sell Bassey this summer. His stock won’t get any higher and would give us a decent budget to reinvest in the team. For me the leagues the priority this year. To win the league you prioritise buying quality middle to front and look for another bosman to come into the defence.

Reactions: Moz
Not necessarily I think we're probably functioning well now after last season but ultimately player trading means we (like every other club that doesn't have rich oil money) have to sell out best assets in order to bring in the next crop.

There is a big emotional attachment to a lot of our players though, as well as the manager will want to keep a large chunk that have done well.
I get we need to sell to buy mate but we should have had a decent budget before that imo

I think a few people who were asking questions about why Arfield, Davis and McGregor got new contracts have now been answered. Until we sell players we can’t afford to buy. It’s not ideal but i would rather that than get into financial difficulties.

One season of profits like we have seen doesn't mean everything is rosy and mabe need to take a look on the new ffp regs .

Players will come it just taking a bit longer
I’m not sure we can take that risk though with CL qaulifiers soon we’d have preffered a settled sqaud going into them

Another point to take from Andy's thread on Twitter - imagine the market we'd be looking in if we hadn't done so well in Europe last season :oops:
This is where we may have to accept we might need to take less for a player than before.

Put simply we have to sell before we can buy anyone of note really. Feelers should be out from Wilson to the players agents we want to move on to try get them a move pronto.

It's a fact rather than a ludicrous claim, the average age of our first 11 in the league last season was 28.3, which was the oldest and 3 years above Celtic who were the youngest. It's slightly younger if you include subs. Here.

You're including the likes of Middleton, Hastie, Kieran Wright, Mayo, Kelly, Ofoborh, Williamson etc in your numbers. Players that will possibly never play for us again. The average age is based on players who play, not ones that are just kicking about the reserves/youth team.
What's wrong with having that average age, with an overall squad avg. age of under 25?

I think we need to sell Bassey this summer. His stock won’t get any higher and would give us a decent budget to reinvest in the team. For me the leagues the priority this year. To win the league you prioritise buying quality middle to front and look for another bosman to come into the defence.

I love Big Calvin but any talk of £20-25m and I'd be taking the money and running.

Realistically, how much more can you expect for a player in this league ?

Reactions: Moz
Where this seasons Aribo’s or Bassey’s? Where are our recruitment team in this regard?

We’ve brought a load of promising younger players in for the U-18s but they seem an age group or two below the players mentioned above.

I just see a completely stagnant football dept (outside of the youths) possibly impacted by lack of funds.

We haven't spent a bean in 2 years. It's verging on being disgraceful to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back