Match Thread ** St Johnstone v Rangers - Fri 13th October 19:45 - BT Sports**

I loved that tonight.

We didn't play particularly well but St Johnstone tried to turn it into a battle and we won that battle. You could see we won it by their petulance in the final 15 minutes.

That sort of performance is what we've seen from great Rangers sides through the years and it's performances like that, that we really enjoy.

All we've asked for over these past couple of years is the players to be organised and give us everything they've got. That team tonight done that and had a couple of outstanding moments of quality at the other end to win the game for us.

If we can continue to play and to battle like that then we'll do very well under Pedro.

The two goals Pena scored are practised before the game, I've noticed before the games at Ibrox one of the last set ups is balls into the box from either flank, one player to near post and one to back post and i'm happy this is now bearing fruit.

Happy with that result considering we were under a lot of pressure in both halfs. Pena coming onto a game, Dorrans was excellent. A good night and a good result, we're getting there!

Although it takes more than effort to make a player, again Candeias put a real shift in. But all round a good team performance. And note during the celebrations of the goals - there's signs of a cohesion and spirit there.

How bad are Scottish referees? thats almost every game this season so far.
Why wasn't Murray Davidson booked for the challenge he made on Morelos just before our 3rd goal? The ref could have quite easily done it after the goal went in. Yet he book's our players for challenges he let's opposition player's off with.
Con man.

That sequence where it felt like 20 straight corners for St Johnstone would have been a mess under Warburton. Out away form and set piece defending have improved for sure under Pedro, now just need to make Ibrox the fortress it should be

It's in matches like this where you can see it coming together. What we're working to be is starting to form out there on the pitch. However, there is still carelessness we need to weed out of our play. There's too much of it in our passing and some needless fouls too. But when it comes together we look great. Some of our movement and passing was a joy.
When Bruno, Pena and Dorrans all hit form in the same team we are eye catching. Progress is being made.

I thought Bruno Alves was magnificent. He is an imposing figure. St Johnstone never really looked like breaking Rangers down. It was an impressive performance by Rangers. They never looked like giving anything away tonight.

A quote from Willie Miller on BBC Scotland.

Interestingly (even though we have played one more game than the soap dodgers) we are joint top scorers in the league now.
No bad considering how terrible our final ball usually has been so far this season. We get that sorted some teams are going to take an absolute tanking off us at some point.

I'm a bit too young to have seen Butcher in a Rangers shirt.

On that basis, I've got no real reason to respect him.

He's an absolute (unt of a man. He makes Derek Ferguson sound educated on football.

I'm not sure if he's deliberately trying to wind up Rangers fans?

Last edited:
Why wasn't Murray Davidson booked for the challenge he made on Morelos just before our 3rd goal? The ref could have quite easily done it after the goal went in. Yet he book's our players for challenges he let's opposition player's off with.
Con man.

Its blatant! The refs have been shocking for us!

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Feb53aeff-0b01-3d4a-b842-04280dd4d7ad.jpg

Quite enjoyed that tonight.

The big man is a ghost the way he floats about, really hard to pick up.

Good performance tonight. Well deserved goals for Pena and Dorrans Our away form is great and I wish we could replicate that at Ibrox.

Delighted with that superb result and Gers win. I had to do my usual and turn the sound off about a MINUTE into the game because of those joe hunt's Butcher and Mutton.

Even found myself not minding if St Johnstone were to score late on - I backed us 1-3 tonight.

Can't wait to fly up for next weekends League Cup Semi.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found themselves agreeing with Sutton tonight.

He's talked a decent amount of sense throughout the game....... (Not all sense but a surprising amount)
Agreed, not sure if soon has spoken to him or he just seems more reasonable compared to Butchers obvious anti Rangers vitriolic

To be fair - it was pretty murder to watch for the most part! So many passengers i thought tonight - Windass; Holt; John were the worst! Pena's goals were fantastic but his all round play was still pretty poor! way forward - Push Tav and Dorrans further forward! Buy McGinn and Walker in Jan! Replace the keeper and windass! Keeper flapped at everything and poor Josh just not good enough!

Brilliant 3 points, great clean sheet - but still much to improve!

Loved that performance tonight, well most of it anyway, and as many others have said, the defending was more like what is expected og Rangers. At last. A good weekend ahead. Great preparation for the cup semi.

Back