Leeds target Rangers star Glen Kamara for £8m summer transfer after scouting mission

That's it, it is why the idea of Kamara for example going for 10/12/15 million is far fetched, that's just not sensible business to us.

Leeds, EPL Sides would be looking to basically take a player on say 6k and pay him the best part of 30/40k, and the reality is Kamara isn't worth that to us or ever going to be paid that by us.

It’s like a lot of folk on here choose to ignore the leverage the players and their agents gain if we refused him a move to the Premier League on the basis he is worth 30-50m whilst paying him no more than 30k a week (Morelos that is, same with Kamara but on a lesser scale)

That’s exactly how you piss a player off.

£8mil and he’s gone no doubt,I like kamara but you can’t turn down £8mil I’m afraid.

I like Doc but he's so far put the picture I think we'll struggle to get our money back on him at this rate never mind hit seven figures

Maybe a low fee + a higher sell our percentage for him ?

Yes probably more likely SDF.

By all accounts he did very well at Shrewsbury & is still young, and that’s why I was hoping to hit 1m plus, but maybe the sell on % is more likely.

We need to be realistic

Gerrard is quite transparent in his chat with Morelos and Kamara
One is 100% guaranteed to be here
The other is being talked up & teams mentioned watching

I'm taking from that and your earlier reply that Gerrard has been told if he wants to hold onto Alfie in January he needs to be amenable to the sale of other assets?

Which isn't anything shocking - this is part of the manager's job - and as much as I'd be sad to see someone like Kamara go (I personally think he has the attributes to go on to even bigger things) I will also breathe a lot easier knowing it'll go a long way to balancing the books and ensure we're in a stronger financial position moving forward.

If he keeps playing the way he has been, we progress in Europe and win a trophy or two, I suspect that he may go for more than £8 million.
What we paid for him is irrelevant, what’s important is how much someone else is prepared to pay to buy him.

Yes probably more likely SDF.

By all accounts he did very well at Shrewsbury & is still young, and that’s why I was hoping to hit 1m plus, but maybe the sell on % is more likely.

I think this is where Ross Wilson will earn his corn in a way Mark Allen clearly couldn't.

I've no doubts had we had Ross Wilson in the summer we'd have received money for players we wanted gone or were out the picture. Allen failed spectacularly on that front.

I like Doc but he's so far out the picture I think we'll struggle to get our money back on him at this rate never mind hit seven figures

Maybe a low fee + a higher sell on percentage for him ?
Truth be told i think we've made a bit of an arse of the docherty situation in the summer. He came off a successful loan spell in league 1, his stock was high and we could surely have found him another loan spell but the english championship this time. A successful loan there and it's not difficult to imagine getting say £2m for him.
But instead he is kicking his heels here, miles off the first team, and really no further forward than we/him were 18 months ago.
If we can't even get our money back on him it's a pretty poor show really.

£8 million lol

Nah I’m sorry in today’s day and age they can gtf with that.

They can start the bidding at £10 Million and we will see from there.

I'm taking from that and your earlier reply that Gerrard has been told if he wants to hold onto Alfie in January he needs to be amenable to the sale of other assets?

Which isn't anything shocking - this is part of the manager's job - and as much as I'd be sad to see someone like Kamara go (I personally think he has the attributes to go on to even bigger things) I will also breathe a lot easier knowing it'll go a long way to balancing the books and ensure we're in a stronger financial position moving forward.

The other factor of course could be that they have a really good target already identified for 1-2m HH.

Clubs like Slovan & other Eastern European clubs would be very happy to get 2m for a player.

I think this is where Ross Wilson will earn his corn in a way Mark Allen clearly couldn't.

I've no doubts had we had Ross Wilson in the summer we'd have received money for players we wanted gone or were out the picture. Allen failed spectacularly on that front.

Yes he did.

I honestly think we should consider totally re structuring our pay to players mate.

Less basic & more appearance money / bonuses.

Guys not playing are far more likely to go on that basis.

Did the Tim's pay Tierney 25 million pound wages?Or Dembele for that matter? No.So that's not how it works at all.

It very much is..... once the bid comes in the wages will more oft than not need to increase to reflect the bid.

If for example we turn down a bid of 8 million for Kamara, the next call we take is coming from the players agent to ask when the new deal to reflect the players valuation is going to be on the table.

Celtic didn't pay Tierney 25 million wages because they didn't reject the bid and retain the player - same case re Dembele.

You turn down fees of 8, 25 million you than accept the liability of having an asset of that value.

The numerous contracts given to Morelos in a short space of time reflect that

Yes he did.

I honestly think we should consider totally re structuring our pay to players mate.

Less basic & more appearance money / bonuses.

Guys not playing are far more likely to go on that basis.

Great idea in theory in practice players will be reluctant to sign for the Club when large amounts of their income is not guaranteed. Depends on the scale you’re talking about.

We'll get more than £30m for Morelos alone

This £20m figure needs to get so far to %^*&. If Morelos was at any other team he would be worth 60-70 million easy. I don't think it's that outrageous we request 30-50 million depending on the team and league. If they don't like it they don't get a future superstar.

£20m and we would have been ripped off something stupid. Keeping Alfredo here next season would probably net us more than £20m so why should we sell for that?

Iwas being conservative with the numbers. No one knows how much we will actually get.

They paid Dembele big money. He was supposed to be on upwards of 40 grand a week.
That's less than a 25 million pound player gets nowadays.Mcginn at Hibs went for similar to.what we paid for Helander was he getting what Helander is getting at us?No offence to anyone but the point that you pay a player wages what he's worth on the transfer market is the sort absolute nonsense they come away with on Clyde.

That's less than a 25 million pound player gets nowadays.Mcginn at Hibs went for similar to.what we paid for Helander was he getting what Helander is getting at us?No offence to anyone but the point that you pay a player wages what he's worth on the transfer market is the sort absolute nonsense they come away with on Clyde.

No one is actually saying that....

The other factor of course could be that they have a really good target already identified for 1-2m HH.

Clubs like Slovan & other Eastern European clubs would be very happy to get 2m for a player.

Indeed. I like to think this is where Ross Wilson will come in - broadening our horizons with a more extensive contact list than Allen had.

He's an established international for Finland. It's not exactly Brazil.

Ask yourself: can we replace Kamara for 2m of that 8m fee? If you can, then you make the deal.

He's played 17 times for Finland and scored 1 goal.

Finland are ranked 55 in the world.

Tierney has played 12 times for Scotland and scored zero goals.

Scotland are ranked 53 in the world.

Nobody is saying Finland are Brazil.

Great idea in theory in practice players will be reluctant to sign for the Club when large amounts of their income is not guaranteed. Depends on the scale you’re talking about.

I understand that it won’t be easy, but the fact that we find the players so difficult to shift is that we’re paying them more than anyone else that they are capable of playing for is NU.

For example if the rumours are true on Andy Halliday & he’s on 6-7k a week, would he have taken 4k a week but more in appearance ?

Kamara being sold would be a loss to the squad but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable.

For me £10M would be the magic number with a 15% sell on clause.
If they want him in January they pay a premium.

Poster said you have to pay players the sort of wages that a 25 million pound player gets if you expect to get 25 million for them.

No they didn't....

They said if a player is worth 8, 10, 25 million in that you turn that offer down you have to then accept the cost and liability that comes with turning that offer down.

No one has actually said or is writing the narrative you are posting about....

Absolutely not for me.

Selling Kamara for £8m is one thing. Replacing him with Lewis Ferguson at a vastly inflated price (This is Aberdeen we're talking about here) shouldn't even be on our radar.

1. He's not worth that sort of outlay
2. His dad and his uncle are toxic IMO.

As a wise man said to me last night "Gerrard wouldn't be able to fart in the dressing room without it getting back to Barry and Derek". Christ, Lewis Ferguson wouldn't be able to concentrate without Barry asking him every two minutes "Have you put in a good word to Steven for me ?"
Lewis Ferguson has potential but I don't see him as a Rangers player any time soon.

As for his da' and his uncle, well his old man couldn't screw the nut and Souness' patience with him was stretched to the limit and finally exhausted. A wasted talent. His uncle, as smashing a player as he was, effectively burned his bridges with V-Gate. He embarrassed himself, the club, the fans and his manager. He was given a way out probably because of his previous service. In reality, his arse shouldn't have touched the deck with behaviour that a ned with a sub 90 IQ would've been proud of far less a Rangers captain.

Should his family preclude him from a move to Ibrox though? If he was good enough, I would say no. But he isn't good enough therefore questions about his suitability due to family connections are purely academic.

I can see where you and your wise man are coming from though.

Lewis Ferguson will be worth monitoring going forward.

Sort of proves that wages mean nothing when it comes to transfer value.

Really doesn’t. I flat out disagree with you. It has an influence, it’s not the be all end all but it is hugely important when it comes to retaining a player, keeping them happy and conducting professional transfer business. You genuinely trying to tell me the now the wages a player is on doesn’t tell a buying Club exactly what the selling Club truly values him at? Other factors like age, potential and ability will skew the final figures before the sale but the wages are a big factor.

That’s the angle agents take literally all the time.

We cant have this toys out the pram routing every time we sell a player, since Gerrard came in we have sold 1 player for decent money in Windass.

We cant keep buying and not selling its not sustainable.
Think we all know that. But we can't be selling people under their market value either.When an English team comes in for anyone now you need to squeeze everything you can out of them.McGinn being such a success down there helps us in that respect.

Think we all know that. But we can't be selling people under their market value either.When an English team comes in for anyone now you need to squeeze everything you can out of them.McGinn being such a success down there helps us in that respect.

£8M is good money for Kamara, different when its a star player but he's not at that level.

Is he really worth more than Ryan Kent?

Haha, away and boil yer heid Bain
The last player that went for real money was hutton.
Morelos is the jewel in the crown.
Katic was 10 million a month ago and now can hardly get on the bench.
FF changes like the wind, they were saying in here 2 months ago that kamara looks a 50k player.
Now done well for 6 weeks and is a star.

We need to wait till the summer before we start thinking about selling talent. Should/ when 55 comes, that’s us in the Champions League and we need trusted players in the squad to get into the group stages.

Punting Kamara (if theres any truth in the interest) at the mo makes no sense.

You can criticise Allen and he's due it up to a point. But don't forget to question the wisdom of signing off on four year contracts for the likes of Jason Holt and Andy Halliday. Factor in Joe Dodoo on good money and players wanting to sit tight because they can't get similar deals elsewhere, then Allen will always look bad for not being able to move guys on.

Not entirely his fault though as McParland and Warburton pushed for their own sub-standard signings and the board, short-sightedly, okayed them.

Really doesn’t. I flat out disagree with you. It has an influence, it’s not the be all end all but it is hugely important when it comes to retaining a player, keeping them happy and conducting professional transfer business. You genuinely trying to tell me the now the wages a player is on doesn’t tell a buying Club exactly what the selling Club truly values him at? Other factors like age, potential and ability will skew the final figures before the sale but the wages are a big factor.

That’s the angle agents take literally all the time.
Already said elsewhere McGinn from Hibs went for similar to what we paid for Helander. Were Hibs paying him what we or the Italians were paying Helander?Not even close. Duncan Ferguson years ago 4 million what were Dundee Utd paying him? Hutton when he went from Spurs was he earning 9 million pound player wages? Wages mean nothing.

Last edited:
Back