The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the names mentioned in the 497 pages of rumours have any actually been mentioned as being seriously looked at by Rangers or is it still pure speculation and what people like the look of.

There are no ITK posters on here anymore as we keep things so close to our chest it's like a second skin.

My aunties, uncles, second cousin twice removed twin brother from another mother probably knows more about our dealings these days.

As for players leaving I reckon the papers get lost of the news from these pages as once I've read it here it generally appears in the paper the next day.

No complaints from me though these pages are superb and make good reading whilst laying on a sun lounger in Cyprus.

Who were these £15m plus bids from? Know Lille we’re linked with Morelos but did a bid actually ever get made? Also im sure that it was reported in the €16m range (just under £14m) and we don’t know the details of that offer. Could have been €8m up front and the rest on performance. I’m sure most would have been disappointed to lose Morelos for that kind of money.

4? Who’s the other?
Leeds in for Kent and Lille for Morelos. was widely reported at the time.

Yes I'm sure most would be, but if the alternative was losing him for half of that or for free a season or two later then I'm sure most could live with it.

You forgetting goldson? Luckily he signed though

There's talk that Everton are after Billy Gilmour. Highly rated by Lampard who gave him his Chelsea debut.

Could be another rumour struck off the list.
Good luck to him and all that but personally don’t think he’s good enough to start week in week out for Everton.

How exactly could we have dealt with this 12-18 months ago? I’m almost certain that we have offered all these players improved contracts or had discussions with them about it. If they haven’t signed that’s not on the board, the decision is with the players. You mention £15-£20m fees which is maybe the price we would have been looking for, for the players. But how do we sell at those prices if no1 bids for the players? So unless we turned down numerous bids of £15-£20m that we didn’t hear about or haven’t tried to extend their contracts within our budget, it’s not on the board.

Look at other players like Pogba, Dembele (Barca), Rudiger, Christincen etc who all ran down their contracts and there isn’t anything Man U, Chelsea and Barca could do about it and they have a lot more money and player pulling power than us.
Players running down their contracts is the future - every agent will be advising their players to do the same thing... once upon a-time it was risky due to the prospect of long term injuries however with sports science the way it is the now I don't think it is the concern it used to be.

As frustrating as it would be to see Aribo, Morelos and Kent run their contracts down its not like we haven't benefited from players doing the same thing... off the top of my head Souttar, Sakala, Lundstrum, McGregor, Arfield, Davis and Aribo all came to us under these circumstances.

This is completely it. Of course it's ultimately the board will decide and I hope they have the conviction to see it through.

If it was down to the fans we'd never get going with it. All the "aww state of you, you'd get rid of Morelos" stuff is really boring. These guys are heroes when they're here, we enjoy them and then move them on at a profit, we then reinvest.

If we're going to claim we do it, then we eventually have to just do it.

I honestly couldnt give a shit about making money. I want us to keep our best players. Im unashamed about wanting the best team on the pitch we can possibly afford.

Now i also understand that economics dictate we need to sell players as well. I accept that. But il never look forward to selling our best players.

All the teams youve previously mentioned go through cycles. After spending an horrendous decade trying to fight to re-establish ourselves, im in absolutely no rush to go through a down cycle. Im loving watching us go toe to toe and beat some of the best teams in Europe. Im in no rush to see the back of this team. Thats my honest opinion on it.

As it should be really. The media, and therefore us, know nothing about our transfer business. This is a sign of professional diligence in my opinion. I hope it continues and we get a few pleasant surprises when signings get unveiled.
Good point well made. Doesn’t make it any less frustrating I suppose but you are correct.

I honestly couldnt give a shit about making money. I want us to keep our best players. Im unashamed about wanting the best team on the pitch we can possibly afford.

Now i also understand that economics dictate we need to sell players as well. I accept that. But il never look forward to selling our best players.

All the teams youve previously mentioned go through cycles. After spending an horrendous decade trying to fight to re-establish ourselves, im in absolutely no rush to go through a down cycle. Im loving watching us go toe to toe and beat some of the best teams in Europe. Im in no rush to see the back of this team. Thats my honest opinion on it.
Very true, I fully understand the economics of the situation and the reality of where we are in the footballing world in that regard, but even if we were to get stupid money for Morelos it would only cushion the blow of losing a player that has done so much for the club

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I don't think anyone will see Kent, Kamara, Morelos or Aribo go with anything other than a heavy heart. However, for as long as the TV money is the way it is it is simply the only way we can give ourselves a chance of being as competitive as we have been in Europe.

A couple of big sales and we then are able to bring in 3/4/5 guys in the £2-3M bracket. Without it we are constantly restricted to the free transfer - £1M bracket where there are far more misses than hits, the club I think have done tremendously well to assemble the team we have on the spend we've made, criticism of the recruitment I think is wildly unfair.

There's also a lack of realism with the approach of you have a contract son you'll stay and play. We already saw a bit of a drop off last season which I think was reinvigorated by the European run. The truth is most of these guys don't want to play in Scotland all their careers.

It’s a mental conspiracy but it’s the transfer thread after all

Alfie posted a photo of him in his rangers tracksuit with a Spanish song which translates to english as “the die is cast” and seems to be a song about moving on :))

Someone say the line
Translated to ‘luck is not cast’ for me and certainly doesn’t look like a song about moving on when translated :)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will see Kent, Kamara, Morelos or Aribo go with anything other than a heavy heart. However, for as long as the TV money is the way it is it is simply the only way we can give ourselves a chance of being as competitive as we have been in Europe.

A couple of big sales and we then are able to bring in 3/4/5 guys in the £2-3M bracket. Without it we are constantly restricted to the free transfer - £1M bracket where there are far more misses than hits, the club I think have done tremendously well to assemble the team we have on the spend we've made, criticism of the recruitment I think is wildly unfair.

There's also a lack of realism with the approach of you have a contract son you'll stay and play. We already saw a bit of a drop off last season which I think was reinvigorated by the European run. The truth is most of these guys don't want to play in Scotland all their careers.

I definitely understand what you are saying mate. Its certainly valid. Im just offering the counter-point.

Im honestly delighted with the current team and my ideal summer would be selling a few few fringe players; say for example, Barisic and Roofe in addition to Itten. Adding that money to the existing pot and buy 2 players of quality at RW and back up striker. Then getting Aribo, Kent and Alfie tied down on new contracts

Thats my ideal summer, but obviously im fully aware that any big bids will need to be considered. Im not naive enough to think we could turn down good money for anyone mate.

Get your own username

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Ahmedhozic
Bassey

Lundstram
Kamara
Aribo

Morelos
Hagi(roving)
Kent

Subs- Mcgregor, King, Lowrie, Jack, Arfield, Souttar, Davis, Zykowski, Diallo, Roofe,Sakala and Colack.

The above is possible team with just two moderate signings. Ahmedhozic for £4 million and Colack for £2 million. Diallo with a years loan.

No team in Europe would fancy facing us.

So there’s literally no reason whatsoever to panic.

Last edited:
McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Ahmedhozic
Bassey

Lundstram
Kamara
Aribo

Morelos
Hagi(roving)
Kent

Subs- Mcgregor, King, Lowrie, Jack, Arfield, Davis, Zykowski, Diallo, Roofe, Colack.

The above is possible team with just two moderate signings. Ahmedhozic for £4 million and Colack for £2 million. Diallo with a years loan.

Souttar will be starting with Goldson and Diallo won’t be anywhere near us again

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Ahmedhozic
Bassey

Lundstram
Kamara
Aribo

Morelos
Hagi(roving)
Kent

Subs- Mcgregor, King, Lowrie, Jack, Arfield, Souttar, Davis, Zykowski, Diallo, Roofe, Colack.

You went to all that effort and still didn’t buy us a RW?

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Ahmedhozic
Bassey

Lundstram
Kamara
Aribo

Morelos
Hagi(roving)
Kent

Subs- Mcgregor, King, Lowrie, Jack, Arfield, Souttar, Davis, Zykowski, Diallo, Roofe, Colack.

Would take Ahmedhozic but doubt we will spend 4m on a CB right now

Hagi is not a right winger its been tested and simply not worked. Hope that Gio has no plans to play him out there next season

Need better than Diallo too. A proper RW that can give us numbers and balance

Would take Ahmedhozic but doubt we will spend 4m on a CB right now

Hagi is not a right winger its been tested and simply not worked. Hope that Gio has no plans to play his out there next season

Need better than Diallo too. A proper RW that can give us numbers and balance
Hagi will rove across the front 3

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Ahmedhozic
Bassey

Lundstram
Kamara
Aribo

Morelos
Hagi(roving)
Kent

Except half of this team is out of contract in a years time, selling one or two of them will put us in a much better position

We have been far from outstanding. From recent memory, beaten home and away by an average Malmo side. Even qualifying for the Europa League last season we were hardly convincing against the might of Armenia that is Alashkert. We were not properly prepared for those games and it showed. We are witnessing the exact same scenario play out right now.

No we aren't we've not even started pre-season yet. We aren't going into this one with key players involved in internationals all coming back at different times due to Euros/Copa America. We've got a camp organised this time as well something that was cancelled last season and we won't be going into qualifiers with 3 key players suspended (from the previous season) or in a quarantine hotel as well as Roofe being suspended.

Malmo we had no excuses at home played 10 men for 50 minutes and lost the game that was on Gerrard. Alashkert was garbage but given we had a COVID outbreak before the 2nd leg then it could have been a whole load worse.

Dread to think what this place is going to be like next weekend after we play Thistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back