The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when we sign a Morelos replacement I hope everyone remembers that we signed him for £1m from Helsinki.

Keep that in mind if/when we don’t spend £10m on a striker from a Top 5 league to replace him.

(ie. Don’t melt down)
The Morelos we bought for £1million took a lot of developing to get him to his current level though and was some bargain. If we can find the next Morelos for £1million again we’d be doing excellent.

Not hopeful if we recruit from England despite 12 of our europea league final squad signing from England? We’ve found a lot of value down south so I wouldn’t just write it off.
Yep in freebies, many of which were gambles. We won’t always get so lucky.

That’s not what I said GL. Think after 51 years of a season ticket at the club I wouldn’t do that, eh ?

What I said was, if we let Aribo & Kamara go & don’t replace them with quality replacements we would be throwing away the league.

Hagi still won’t recover from one of the worst injuries a player can get for a few months. Lowry has massive potential but proving himself as an 18yo at this stage against grown men is a big risk, especially when you consider he wasn’t deemed good enough for Scotland u21s recently.

If you don’t deem that as taking a big risk with our season, including trying to qualify for the CL Group stages then I disagree.
Tbf not being selected by Scot Gemmill is not indication of lack of ability, the man is a buffoon.
If he's good enough he's old enough and I belive he is.
I think if we sell we'll buy. No need to panic and folk need to calm down.

The Morelos we bought for £1million took a lot of developing to get him to his current level though and was some bargain. If we can find the next Morelos for £1million again we’d be doing excellent.
We don’t have or that player won’t have 3 years to get up to speed, different times mate.

Whoever replaces Alfie will need to deliver from the first game unfortunately for him

If it's gonna happen make it quick so we can get bodies in for pre-season.

Yep, spot on. Think most of us are resigned now to Alfie and Joe moving on so lets get the deals done fast (and at the right price obviously). No use to anyone whatsoever to have it dragging on, clock is ticking and replacements needed pronto.

As an aside, I always find it kinda sad when players leave during the transfer window without really having a proper chance to say goodbye. Especially in alfies case where he missed the last few months of the season. Instagram messages are all very well and good but the wee man has been an absolute icon for us over the past 5 years and it would hsve been nice to see him get to do a farewell lap around a packed Ibrox with the "Alfredo, Alfredo" chant getting blasted out one last time...

Of course, if he were to knock back Sevilla, post the wolf of Wall Street "I'm not fuckin leaving" gif tomorrow morning and then sign an extension...then I'm sure he'll get the loudest version of it yet at our next game!

We don’t have or that player won’t have 3 years to get up to speed, different times mate.

Whoever replaces Alfie will need to deliver from the first game unfortunately for him
Tbf Alfie hit the ground running from the get go but we were at a different stage and level I agree. If we’re replacing Morelos (which I hope we won’t need to) we’ll need proven goal scorers who are good all round players and ready to come in straight away.

If Aribo indeed has some kind of fixed release clause, as long as two or more parties are interested then surely this could be a minimum starting point in terms of final fee?

Wouldn‘t begrudge him a move. He’s been great when fit…..or not exhausted by endless games!

If Aribo indeed has some kind of fixed release clause, as long as two or more parties are interested then surely this could be a minimum starting point in terms of final fee?
The negotiating would just be done with the player, as long as clubs pay us the £10 million they are free to talk to the player and negotiate. Sadly 10 is the most we’ll get if his release clause is true (which it seems to be).

Easy to say with hindsight and the horse has well and truly bolted, but if we were looking for a striker with tremendous pedigree, a proven track record, coming off the back of a very good season and under 30 years old, we should have broke the bank and moved for Mario Gotze. €4 million euros for him must be the transfer of the summer.

Easy to say with hindsight and the horse has well and truly bolted, but if we were looking for a striker with tremendous pedigree, a proven track record, coming off the back of a very good season and under 30 years old, we should have broke the bank and moved for Mario Gotze. €4 million euros for him must be the transfer of the summer.
I don’t think he is the type of player we are looking for mate.

I’m relaxed

Just no more Ramsey talk and I’ll remain that way

I don’t think he is the type of player we are looking for mate.

I’m relaxed

Just no more Ramsey talk and I’ll remain that way
Obviously no resale value, but if he stayed fit and played most games he's a 20+ goal a season striker in most leagues let alone ours. No worries anyway now, there are a stack of great players out there. Up to the powers that be to get deals done now.

Obviously no resale value, but if he stayed fit and played most games he's a 20+ goal a season striker in most leagues let alone ours. No worries anyway now, there are a stack of great players out there. Up to the powers that be to get deals done now.
I was more thinking about physical attributes and there is always potential he end up injured again or falling out of love etc.

There a hundreds of strikers out their - we just need the right 2!

Too many within the fanbase struggle to let go. It feels almost unique to us for some bizarre reason.
This is so true but for years we've failed with the Ajax/sell then invest model. We're not used to it! Aribo gave us the best moment in my lifetime with that goal. BUT it makes so much unemotional sense to sell him now for great money and even if we don't buy to replace, play Lowry.

Too many within the fanbase struggle to let go. It feels almost unique to us for some bizarre reason.
Think it's particularly tough for folk to let go knowing where we have come from and the utter dross we have had over the past decade that these players have been the best we've had for a long time, but we are Rangers and back to our best so attracting quality players should not be a problem.

Because the spivs decimated our youth system, as fans we are still getting used to trusting that programme. Now is the time to trust.

Think it's particularly tough for folk to let go knowing where we have come from and the utter dross we have had over the past decade that these players have been the best we've had for a long time, but we are Rangers and back to our best so attracting quality players should not be a problem.
2 trophies in 4 seasons for pretty much the same team of players.

And losing the league post January on 3 of these seasons. That's a weakness and a concern.

The EL run was great - but this team needs freshening up big time.

2 trophies in 4 seasons for pretty much the same team of players.

And losing the league post January on 3 of these seasons. That's a weakness and a concern.

The EL run was great - but this team needs freshening up big time.
And to be honest, I can't name an old firm game Aribo has ran, can you? Not having a go, just think it makes sense ti sell although will also be sad to say goodbye.

It's not unusual for fans to be apprehensive about one (or more) of the team's best players being sold.

I'm apprehensive about it there are two ways to look at it:
1) If they don't extend their contracts they must be sold, and/or
2) Assets must be sold to freshen and (hopefully) improve the the squad.

A necessary evil which we haven't experienced for over 10 years.

Looks like we might be getting the fabled rebuild after all.

Which is what people were clamouring for a few weeks ago.

If we are then the resigning of McGregor, Arfield and Davis makes more sense now.

Losing those 3, along with potentially Aribo, Kamara and Morelos, would take a lot of influence and characters from the dressing room. Keeping McGregor, Davis and Arfield helps us keep a good solid core in the dressing room.

Do we let Aribo and others go before CL Qualification?? Do they stay if we qualify?
Not sure anything is cut and dried yet.

Celtic have shown for years, that waiting to see if you qualify... backfires. They are pretty pish in Europe, so that may play into it aswell lol.

For me getting your business done early, new signings getting a full preseason and ready for the qualifiers is the way to go.

If we qualify, then we make a statement signing (a Kent fee like signing).

Reactions: Jeb
The Diallo story is an opinion from Alan Hutton btw. That's all.

To be fair to Hutton he knows considerably more than the Twitter weirdos who’s attention seeking guesswork is taken as gospel.

He alluded to Goldson wanting to stay in Seville yet the majority chose to believe a few posters who knew for a fact he’d said his goodbyes, sold his rented property and moved back down south to sign for some overrated jobbers.

I’d say there’s a pretty good chance Diallo will be back with us next year.

Too many want to stand still and do not want to move forward I guess it's the same posters who thought we were doomed when Morelos was injured but then went on to a Euro final and won a cup.
GVB will want to put his own stamp on the team.

Last edited:
To be fair to Hutton he knows considerably more than the Twitter weirdos who’s attention seeking guesswork is taken as gospel.

He alluded to Goldson wanting to stay in Seville yet the majority chose to believe a few posters who knew for a fact he’d said his goodbyes, sold his rented property and moved back down south to sign for some overrated jobbers.

I’d say there’s a pretty good chance Diallo will be back with us next year.

Would be a farce. We need to make that position a priority and find the best player possible to fill it, would be incredibly lazy to just loan back the guy who already failed to make an impact.

Would be a farce. We need to make that position a priority and find the best player possible to fill it, would be incredibly lazy to just loan back the guy who already failed to make an impact.

It would depend on the cost for me but he’s got talent. We didn’t see enough to judge him properly and if Gio thinks he can offer something then I don’t see why not.

On Hagi, I was all for him being the natural succession plan to Aribo and Lowry being Hagi's back up. But after Hagis dads update recently, I'm not sure if Hagi will be fit anytime soon. Probably another 2/3 months before he is in proper training and not just gym or recovery work. Then the battle to rebuild his fitness and sharpness. I'd be pretty surprised if he starts many if any games before the break.

Tbh the World Cup in November is probably a god send for Hagi. It will allow him a proper preseason, to get himself ready for the 2nd half of the season.

So if Aribo is sold. I'd be surprised, if we don't buy a new CAM. As much as I like Lowry, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with only Lowry and Arfield able to play off the striker until the World Cup. That seems very risky going into qualifiers and a massive league campaign.

Looking at our squad. Outside of younger players going on loan or the likes of Simpson, Katic, Middleton or Kelly leaving. We will sign a replacement for anyone going who isn't in those categories.

We needed a striker and right winger already so we will need to replace morelos and aribo if they go aswell, we cant just throw lowry in and expect him to be a replacement for aribo

It would depend on the cost for me but he’s got talent. We didn’t see enough to judge him properly and if Gio thinks he can offer something then I don’t see why not.
As a loan to buy, I'd be fine with Diallo coming back.

Man Utd paid about £18 million plus add ons. A loan to buy at £8-10 million, a sell on and a £20-25 million buy back clause, wouldn't be too outlandish for both parties.

If Diallo does well Man Utd would lose £8-10 million (which is very little to them), but they don't have to pay all the add ons to Atalanta. If he continues his development they can bring him back a year or 2 down the line.

We'd obviously need to make the champions league to pay that, but I'd be happy if something like that could get sorted out. A fully motivated Diallo here playing for a move, would be interesting.

On Hagi, I was all for him being the natural succession plan to Aribo and Lowry being Hagi's back up. But after Hagis dads update recently, I'm not sure if Hagi will be fit anytime soon. Probably another 2/3 months before he is in proper training and not just gym or recovery work. Then the battle to rebuild his fitness and sharpness. I'd be pretty surprised if he starts many if any games before the break.

Tbh the World Cup in November is probably a god send for Hagi. It will allow him a proper preseason, to get himself ready for the 2nd half of the season.

So if Aribo is sold. I'd be surprised, if we don't buy a new CAM. As much as I like Lowry, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with only Lowry and Arfield able to play off the striker until the World Cup. That seems very risky going into qualifiers and a massive league campaign.

Looking at our squad. Outside of younger players going on loan or the likes of Simpson, Katic, Middleton or Kelly leaving. We will sign a replacement for anyone going who isn't in those categories.
We can’t sign a player for 2/3 months on a long term contract because Hagi is injured.

Hagi is the natural successor to Aribo and Lowry the successor to Hagi, if one is injured another gets the chance. That’s how football works generally.

Arfield, Kamara, Wright have all been deployed at no10 also.

I’d much rather Hagi played CAM once he is back and we signed a quality RW.

We can’t sign a player for 2/3 months on a long term contract because Hagi is injured.

Hagi is the natural successor to Aribo and Lowry the successor to Hagi, if one is injured another gets the chance. That’s how football works generally.

Arfield, Kamara, Wright have all been deployed at no10 also.

I’d much rather Hagi played CAM once he is back and we signed a quality RW.
True but it all depends on how much Gio trusts Lowry and Arfield.

It's just a worry tbh, due to the ridiculous volume of games until the World Cup. A couple of injuries and it will be hard to deal with that high match load.

If this takes a further yard off hagi, I’m afraid he’s just too imobile for the modern game at the top level. All the talent in the world though. Certainly can’t play on the right.

Gerrard& big signing on fee are factors but I do believe there is a clause that kicks in this summer
Al

Wouldn‘t begrudge him a move. He’s been great when fit…..or not exhausted by endless games!
Why would clubs try to outbid each other on a fixed fee. Both bid 10 million and are free to offer terms to the player. That's when they can offer more, to the player, not the club.

Why would anyone pay more than they had to. That doesn't make any sense.

£20 million+ for a Aribo/Morelos sale has to be looked at by the board. We're 6 months away from both of those players signing for another club for free.

The way some go on about Morelos leaving is weird. Like scorned lovers ffs. Better players have left for far less having given much more.

Board have stated constantly that we need to be self efficient.

£20 million+ for a Aribo/Morelos sale has to be looked at by the board. We're 6 months away from both of those players signing for another club for free.

The way some go on about Morelos leaving is weird. Like scorned lovers ffs. Better players have left for far less having given much more.

Board have stated constantly that we need to be self efficient.

Overly snide take on Morelos, arrived for under a million and has gone on to be our top scorer in Europe and has turned into an absolutely fantastic player, he’ll be a massive loss and has been a brilliant signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back